When a child is born, it’s hard for parents to see their newborns undergoing and pediatric cardiac surgery is the most common congenital heart defect which mostly affects newborns, children, and teenager as well as the adult. Some of the heart defects that happen in children from birth can be holes in the heart, abnormal blood vessels, heart valve abnormalities, a weak heart, and other defects. The increasing use of less invasive methods in India has made the surgery to have higher success rates in India.
What is Pediatric Cardiac Surgery?
Pediatric cardiac surgery is a critical congenital heart defect that is diagnosed by doctors as quickly as the child is born with the abnormalities. When a child grows and has any of the symptoms and signs of severe heart defects then parents must attend their child to the child’s doctor, who will understand the symptoms and let them know that signs are due to other medical conditions or a heart defect. Pediatric cardiac surgeons offer specialised care for kids to fix both congenital and acquired heart problems. They provide life-changing medication that results in the very best results.
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery procedure
Different cardiac surgery requires various treatment options with pediatric cardiac surgery in India. Pediatric cardiac surgeons are highly skilled after achieving medical schooling and practice in surgeries. Surgeons provide the most innovative care for children, as they are unable to tell their sufferings. Some of the procedures given below have been performed by the best surgeons on kids who are undergoing heart defects.
- Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) ligation: It’s a heart defect with the condition when a vein usually closes at birth stays open which occurs in oxygen-rich blood without flowing in the body goes back to the lungs.
- Coarctation of the aorta (COA) repair: COA is a heart defect that is being from birth where the aorta narrows that brings oxygen-rich blood from the left ventricle to the body than it should be.
- Atrial septal defect (ASD) repair: When a doctor suspect when he hears a heart murmur while listening with a stethoscope, that indicates an atrial septal defect has happened can be repaired by the methods of medications or surgery.
- Ventricular septal defect (VSD) repair: Ventricular septal defect (VSD) is done to fix a hole between the right and the left ventricles of the wall separating the two lower chambers. The breach may cause higher blood pressure in the heart or diminished oxygen to the body.
- Tetralogy of Fallot repair: Defect with the heart structure that changes the regular flow of blood through the heart, TOF has repaired by open-heart surgery.
- Transposition of the great arteries repair: Transposition of great vessels may be diagnosed before childbirth which includes tests of the great arteries. If the baby has blue-tinged skin or baby is having a struggle in breathing then the doctor suspect that the child is suffering from TGA
- Truncus arteries repair: Surgery has been performed after the baby is born in 1-2 weeks during which a hole in the wall has closed with a patch.
- Tricuspid atresia repair: The tricuspid valve has located between the right upper and right lower chamber of the heart where a piece of tissue forms which restricts blood flow within them.
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery complications
As some surgeries have their benefits, patients should also be ready for the risks related to cardiac surgery. The chances are limited as with the new inventions of minimally invasive surgeries the safety has increased significantly over the year. The complications of bypass cover inadequate perfusion of organs or tissues, activation of the systemic inflammatory response, and embolisation of air or particles. Bleeding is also a risk that can happen after open-heart surgery.
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery before and after
If parents see any changes in the kid or the doctor himself suggests the surgery. The doctor will need many various tests followed by x-ray, blood test, ECG, and Echocardiogram. It is necessary to have proper medicines that will include drugs, vitamins, and herbs guided by doctors. Before the surgery child is asked not to drink or eat anything after midnight. Medicines should have taken with a small sip of water.
After the surgery, the child stays in the Intensive care unit (ICU) for 2-3 days. The child will have a tube in the airway and a respirator to aid with breathing and one small tube is attached in veins to give fluids and vaccinations. After the child has been discharged, it would require 3 to 4 weeks at home to recover. Parents should cooperate with the doctor about when a child can respond to the regular routine; the pain will likely diminish after the second day and sometimes can manage with vaccinations. Parents should take proper care about the wounds and diet; sanitation should be kept so that there should be no chance of infection.
As to know more about Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. Dr. Ashish Dolas is Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon in Pune. We understand the joy of having a child, and we know how it hurts to see your kid in pain; that is why we provide the most assured heart surgery in Pune. Contact us today!.